THE ENCHANTING FACE OF SPLENDOUR

Gladys Agbadi
Gladys has chosen to pursue photo modelling and would not relent on her dream until she wins the spotlight in and beyond the borders of Africa. That is where the 22 year old enchanting model sees herself in the next half decade.

The young ambitious model begun exploring her expressive passion for modelling, professionally, two years ago. After so much pressure from friends and family, who had seen a lot of potential in the young lady to excel in the saturated industry, Gladys finally decided to take the bold step towards making a career in modelling in 2012.

Recounting how she finally gathered courage to explore the industry she said, “I always wanted to do a thing like modelling but I was not getting the platform to exhibit what I had to offer. To push myself into the lime light, I started visiting different locations around time, put together some costumes and started taking pictures with my phone. I posted these pictures on social media, especially Facebook, and that was how I started attracting attention to myself. I was fired up by all the inspiring comments I won on these pictures and that is how I started surfacing in the modelling industry.”

“So far, I have done a couple of shoots for a number of photographers and I believe soon I will find myself in the hot seat. I am glad I did not give up on my talent,” she was recorded to have said.  

Evidently, Gladys has developed progressively in the career she is has been pursuing over the past two years. She now doubles as a make-up artist and has good eyes in matching costumes that best fit locations.

Do you belong to any agency?
No, I am a freelancer. I may consider joining an agency in the near future but for now I am obsessed with building a portfolio for myself. Not to say the agency would not help me do that but I believe starting the hard way will open me up more to the details of the industry and I will be toughened to face the challenges that come with my growth in the industry.

What has been your marketing strategy?
Gladys Agbadi
Social media has been my greatest marketing asset. All I have done in the past two years is use the visual power of social media, especially Facebook, to sell myself out there. I have not compromised the least on making effective use of my Facebook page and that of the photographers I work with. Once our photo session is completed, I post all the pictures on the sites.  I believe strongly I am growing a huge market for myself through social media and it will continue to push me up the ladder.

Can you find a place for yourself in the industry?
I admit it is not easy to break into an already saturated market, especially as a freelancer. The demand for models has seen a significant rise due to the new era of advertising that deals with appealing to the sight.

However, the strings attached to landing deals is what makes the job difficult and sometimes unattractive. Aside the many specifications most contractors have (complexion, size, height etc.), there are some others whose ready-to-go contracts come with a lot of conditions. Whilst some seek sexual favours before offering deals, others would seek a large percentage of what you earn from the contract leaving you cash not worth taking home.

Nonetheless, I am braced to break through all these challenges and firmly believe I have a space in the industry.

Gladys Agbadi
Striking a perfect balance between modelling and personal life has been a challenge for the rising super model. Explaining how she manages a balance between the two sides of her life she said that she completely pushes away anything that destructs her when she is on set. She dedicates a lot of effort in her profession and would not allow her personal life weigh it down.

Away from the studio, Gladys admits the challenge is even bigger. The work she does as a model affects her personal life and image greatly. “The negativity with which the public associate with your persona because of the shoots you have been involved in makes life quiet unbearable sometimes,” she said. “They do not strike a difference between personal life and professional life, they treat them as one entity,” she added.
Gladys Agbadi

For me, modelling is not a cheap way to riches and fame if you are determined to make it through the right way. It is not rare to find some models, especially the female models, being exploited sexually in exchange for favours. “You can adopt these tactics to boost your pace in reaching the top, but you may not last at the top. Work hard and always be determined to win.” Gladys advised.

Hailing from Denu in the Volta Region of Ghana, Gladys Abla Agbadi belongs to a family of 15. She is currently a student of engineering at the Accra Polytechnic. 

    

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment