BEAUTY AND FOCUS' UNBENDING TWIN

Rissy
“More and more young people are trooping into the industry and it is a good sign of the prospects this industry has for the growth of our national economy. However, they should know that nothing good comes easily. Getting what you want the hard way makes you a proud individual when you have achieved your desired success. There are a lot of dubious shortcuts to stardom but is the end result worth the means used?”

The Ghanaian born twin with some Nigerian trait, Rissikatu Ganiyu, had the opening as an advice to the many young people who crave to make a living off their God-given talents. Ms. Ganiyu did a cool thing by opting to be identified as “Rissy” in the modelling industry. Fourth born of her parents and the younger twin, Rissy is a product of the Ghallywood Academy of Film Acting (2011) where she completed a course in Acting and Script Writing. It was whilst in this institution that she was introduced into the modelling business.

Rissy’s career, which has spanned a period of three years already, took attained a professional status in 2013 when she was listed amongst the models to rock the runway at the 2013 edition of the Oil City Fashion Weekend, held at the Vienna City Beach in Takoradi.

By far, the fast rising super model has had the privilege of being featured on a good number of runway shows. Amongst the many runway events Rissy has graced include Oil City Fashion Weekend Reload at Atlantic Hotel, Oil City White Carpet, Tadi Fashion Week, Oil City Fashion Closet and Model Kode Fashion Show. Rissy has also enjoyed a good photography spree with Aikins Photography, Focus GH, Amor Photography, GrandBerry and Click Shot.

Rissy’s Transformation of the Negatives into Strengths

Her Personality: By nature, Rissy describes herself as a bit shy, especially when she comes into contact with new people. However, this flaw of hers does not throw her off the board, it rather opens her up to a new way of learning. Rissy said, “I talk less and listen more in the midst of new people. I secretly learn from other models, especially poses. When the time is right to exhibit what I have gathered from my shy moments, the result is beyond amazing.” “Nonetheless, I always aim at getting along smoothly with my colleagues with time,” She proudly added.

Money Palaver: “As a young freelance model, financing is one huge challenge. As daring as I have been to survive in the industry, I began my career with virtually earning nothing for the jobs I did.

Every profession demands a good income for sustainability.  As hard as I worked without earning anything, I had very high hopes of earning hugely in the future. The shoes, clothes, make up kits and accessories we use are the work of others and we must buy them. For me, it is an investment and I hope to regain them.

This is what I do, and I do it as best as I can, all day, every day. It has to pay the bills. So as I smile and walk down the runway, money is not my motivation but it is a required reward we do not ask or fight for. It comes deservingly and in time.

I have taken the dry days to gain the platform for exposure. And with time, I am reaping the benefits of my sacrifice. The industry favours the models that have already gained the exposure.”

Emotional Support: “My twin sister, my brother and my partner have been of great help in the field I have chosen so far. It was a real battle at the beginning because my parents in no way agreed on the career choice I have made.

As discouraging as that was, my twin sister and brother were there to support me even when I thought I could not do it anymore. They always alerted me whenever there was an audition.  My brother will call and say he has got this concept in mind and appealed to me to try and work on it. The push was so great that I found myself in the studio trying the concepts out. Rassy, my twin, will always repeat those heartwarming words “I won't give up on you, even if you give up on yourself.”

The Lone Walker: Freelance modeling is interesting but it is a risk. Whilst models in the agency seem to win a lot of contracts and have people always managing their affairs, you fight your battle alone. You will receive your pay directly without any middle person. You choose your own terms and conditions of working without owing anyone any explanation. However, the risk involved is the bargaining and signing up for contracts. Since there will be no one to fight on your behalf, you might easily get cheated and pushed to do things you did not bargain for.

Nonetheless, I do not rubbish the benefits of the agency. The agency keeps you rehearsing and exercising. However, the competition leads people to do the extremes because everyone is striving to impress the instructor. With an agency, you will have to wait longer to be hooked to a modeling contract, as a freelancer, you can go chase some jobs or contract for yourself.

Work-Life Balance: Social life gives me a skill and reports work, so they work together. One without the other is almost impossible. Social life advices work. Sometimes, for a model to do a pose in representation of something, they need to understand it and what other way is there to understand it than life itself.

My work takes most of time. Sometimes runway shows and photo shoot takes a whole lot of time making it a bit difficult to spend time with my partner. With this challenge at hand, I go for a photo shoot and will have to do everything to close early in order to make time for him. My partner understands how things go in the industry and supports me when the need arises. Yes, he is jealous but he always put me on track so I do not lose control of myself.

There Must Be a Change
There are a lot of things to be considered and acted on in the industry. There are too many desperate models, especially female models, in the industry. They will go to the extremes to gain the platform and that is where they are being taken advantage of. Lots of female models are being harassed sexually in the industry. If there ever is a way around this canker it should be explored before the business is blacklisted.

What Must Be Explored
Social Media, specifically WhatsApp, Facebook and Instagram, has become the greatest assets for us in the modelling industry and the role it has played in my growth is evident of its efficacy. It has created more jobs opportunities for me as a model. Creating a page on Facebook as 'The Model Rissy', has become one of the many blessing bestowed on me in this career. Fans’ comments have pushed me to do more and corrected the mistakes I made.

With Your New Status Will You Call Yourself a “Boss Chick”?
Boss chick to me is a term given to an outing type of lady and one who depends on men for her daily bread and other expenses. I will not consider myself a 'Boss Chick' because I am working hard to become a complete independent woman. The negatives that come with the boss chick definition entirely makes it unfit for me unless my understanding of the word is wrong. 


With the growing prospects of the modelling industry in the Oil City of Ghana, the Naomi Campbell role modelled Rissy, is set to put in all the energy, hardwork and commitment needed to become a household name in the industry.

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment