THE PRIDE OF PERSISTENCE

Anastasia Cobbinah
 Tasia, the only girl among the three children of her parents is a talent Ghana must look out for in the near future. Known in private life as Anastasia Cobbinah, Tasia currently works with a Takoradi based company, Stellar Logistics as a Health and Safety Officer.
Tasia

A product of the Adiembra Senior High School, Ms. Cobbinah joined the modelling industry in 2010 upon completion of her secondary education. 

The young model only had her break through three years after joining the industry landing her first major job on the runway at the Oil City White Fashion Show held at the Raybow Hotel, Takoradi.

Anastasia’s love for modelling was born out of her admiration for her close friends Nat and Albert who were very enthusiastic and dedicated to their modelling career. Tasia credits them for guiding her growth in the industry.
The ever persistent Ms. Cobbinah now records three runway events namely, Oil City White Carpet Fashion Show, Oil City Fashion Weekend and Coastal Breeze Bikini Show on her portfolio

Recounting her first experience on the runway, Tasia said, “I was very nervous but managed to gather enough confidence to impress the designers whose clothes I was exhibiting. I am proud to say my first run turned very good and I enjoyed how much the audience appreciated my style.” This happens to be Tasia’s most favourite runway event.

Tasia
The freelance models admits striking a good balance between her professional life and modelling has been very challenging. With the level of concentration and time the 22 year old model dedicates to her professional career, she find modelling, which is fast becoming her first love, suffering direly. She said that the demands of her profession has left her missing out on a lot of auditions which could possibly have landed her the dream exposure she has always dreamt of.

What are some challenges you face as a freelance model?
“Being a freelance model is very difficult. Landing the juicy jobs is very difficult as compared to my compatriots attached to agencies. Although freelancing allows me to choose where and when I want to model, my opportunities at a fast-paced growth in the career are limited. The agencies land the bigger contracts for the first class events always.”
The young tall model with shapely legs looks to Award Winning Ghanaian Actress, Yvonne Nelson as her role model. The model with varied styles is best at modelling in dresses and shorts that place emphasis on her height and legs.
Tasia

How does your career affect your love life?
I am lucky to have a partner who is very supportive and happy to see me go as far as I can in the modelling industry. He is aware of the pitfalls and problems that come with the job. He helps me keep my feet on the ground and not get carried away with the glamour and excitement of it all.

Nonetheless, he sometimes cannot help it but show signs of jealousy and frustration. I am surrounded at events by handsome young men and by organizers who often try to take advantage of the models so his plight is understandable. However, he trusts me to look after myself and is aware that my friends are also looking out for me. Unfortunately, rehearsals, photo shoots and events often finish late, or take up time that I should be spending with my partner. In all this, our relationship is strong and we are still happy together.

Tasia
Has social Media played any role in your career development? How?
Instagram, WhatsApp, and Facebook have been of significant importance in my modelling career. I have been able to keep up-to-date with fashion trends and stay in touch with my friends and fans. These social media applications assist with getting criticism and advice on my photos. These channels have also helped me land jobs. Most clients choose them as their platform for advertising opportunities.
Tasia

Where do you find yourself in the next 5 years?
If all goes well, I hope to see my modelling career take off to its peak with me being recognized as one of Ghana’s top models for both runway and commercial modelling. However, I want to progress in my career as a Health and Safety professional as well – within the forth half decade, I hope to complete additional qualifications and take up a more superior role.

If you had the magic wand to change something in the modelling industry in Ghana what would it be?
Tasia
There are many individuals in the modelling industry who are interested in taking advantage of aspiring models. There are of course those who want sexual favours but my experience is rather that organizers and management are very demanding and do not appreciate the efforts made or the time spent. Often promises of pay are forgotten once the show is over.

I would like to change the attitude of many of the organizers. They need to be better managers, especially of their time. Every event I have been involved with, either as a participant or as a spectator, has been late starting. Often there are sound and light problems and delays to sort these out. Most of the audience do not want to be still sitting watching the show at 1am. This is impacting negatively on all involved but also tends to put people off coming to the fashion shows.


Does the industry have a bright future?
The modelling industry in Ghana has a great future. There are many creative and innovative young designers coming up and the industry is now recognized as a serious career field. There are now many fashion shows and Ghana fashion is becoming more internationally appreciated. Ghana has a history of unique fashion and its further development and promotion will leave us at the top.
Tasia

In advising aspiring models she said, “Young people who want to be models must be aware the career demands a lot of hard work and sacrifice. Having the requisite physical attributes will not make you successful unless you are able to cope with the rigorous demands of the work. When starting off, the rewards are few and far between. It is only successful and well established models who can make a living from the business.

Modelling is not easy, the failure rate is very high. I would say just about 5% of aspiring models make it to the prime of their career. It is a business that rewards only those who do well, and often it all boils down to good fortune and hard work. It is certainly not an easy route to fame and riches.
So far, the pay I have earned is very small and certainly not enough for the time and effort I have put in. However, I am now in a position in Takoradi of being in demand by designers and show organizers, and my future looks positive.

Anastasia credited Albert, Nat and Chantelle Dapaah for being the support and inspiration for her career.
Details of Anastasia Cobbinah

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment